The 3rd PROSPECT learning group for public lighting conducted a physical meeting in Upper Austria in March 2019, in order to exchange experience and knowledge about setting up Energy Performance Contracting (EPC). The scheme, which is considered both a financial and operational mechanism, has been implemented in Upper Austria for more than 20 years with the support of the mentor OÖ Energiesparverband (ESV).
Western Development Commission (Ireland) was represented by O. Nic Suibhne, AE3R Ploiesti-Prahova (Romania) was represented by B. Potlogia, R. Sorokin and C. Csaszar, Black Sea Energy Cluster (Bulgaria) was represented by T. Tonev and Coimbra Region (Portugal) was represented by L. Santa and N. Pomar.
In the context of the learning programme, the participants had the chance to enhance their expertise on how to finance and implement street lighting through Energy Performance Contracting. The programme included a mix of short online sessions and a 2-day hands-on visit. More specifically, the first day included an introductory seminar on EPC including streetlighting and calculation of concrete examples of the mentees. The second day included a site-visit. Participants had the opportunity to visit an experienced ESCO and have an overview of different street lighting types. Finally, the following projects were presented:
- LED Street Lighting, City of Wels: conversion of 3,860 lighting points to LED technology, energy savings of more than 1,251,000 kWh/a, energy cost savings of 200,000 €, overall investment costs of 1,656,000 €.
- LED Street Lighting, Municipality of Gunskirchen: 80% renovation of the entire lighting system, energy savings of more than 78,300 kWh/a, energy cost savings of 12,500 €/a, overall investment costs of 796,400 €.
The next and final step of the learning group is an online session, in which the mentor ESV and mentees will further explore how the knowledge about EPC received in Austria can be transferred to their own context. Stay tuned and get informed about all the latest Peer Learning Activities!
PROSPECT Learning Cycle 1 is ongoing! ‘ESV’ mentoring
The mentor ‘OÖ Energiesparverband (ESV) (AT)’ and mentees ‘Western Development Commission(ΙΕ)’, ‘AE3R Ploiesti/Prahova (RO)’, ‘Municipality of Maia (PT)’, ‘Coimbra Region (PT)’ and ‘Black Sea Energy Cluster (BG)’ of the 3rd Learning Group for Public Lighting already participated in two online sessions and are preparing for a physical meeting to take place at Linz.
The learning activities officially started on the 24th of July 2018. During this first online session, for Step 1, ESV presented the ‘EPC in Upper Austria’ project, which covers the sectors of Public Lighting, Public and Business Buildings and Renewable Energy Installations. It supports energy efficiency projects and investments in renewable energy technologies in the public and business sectors. The key to the programme's success is the combination of a strong supporting facilitation service (information & advice services offered by the regional energy agency) and a financial incentive offered by the regional government. Overall, this has led to a functional and well developed Energy Performance Contracting (EPC) market in Upper Austria with many EPC projects implemented each year. More than 200 contracting projects were supported (about 100 in municipalities, 50 in companies and 50 in institutions), with a total investment of around 65 million €. For example, in the Municipality of Bad Schallerbach the following savings were achieved: 130,900 kWh of electricity, 19,500 € of electricity costs, 20,000 € of maintenance costs, as well as a CO2 emission reduction of 60 tons.
During Step 2 of the Learning Programme, a second online session took place on the 20th of November 2018. The mentees presented a number of energy efficiency projects in their cities and specific needs to be addressed by the mentor during the physical meeting visit. The mentees presented the following projects:
- Western Development Commission presented the ‘Public lighting in Housing Estates’project, which is currently in the development phase.
- AE3R Ploiesti-Prahova presented the ‘Installation of a 5.2 MW photovoltaic system for the Barcanesti commune’project, currently under development, with a total budget of 8,061,984 €.
- Black Sea Energy Cluster presented the ‘Energy efficiency of street lighting in port Varna’ project, which is in the Energy Audit phase with a total budget of 200,000 €.
- Coimbra Region did not present a particular projects, however, the mentee highlighted the interest of the region to introduce innovative financing schemes,like Energy Performance Contract - EPC, to reduce energy consumption of public lighting.